Pages

DIY recycled pasta containers

Sunday 22 February 2015

The idea of recycling/reusing sounds really appealing to me. Turning around something from it's journey to the waste bin and into your everyday life gives me a sense of superhero-like status. Well, at least for the item concerned if not for anything else. Either way, I don't get to do it as often as I like. Sure, I recycle paper, plastic, glass containers, and I even own a few pre-loved furniture pieces and lots of flea market finds. But I get really excited when I get to re-purpose something that I already have. This is why I want to share with you how I turned these cereal boxes into pasta containers. Not only do they now look prettier, but I love that I got the pasta out of its plastic wrappers and into these functional boxes. Here we go!



You'll need:

  • Cereal boxes (whiskey or Pringles boxes will do, too). Clean them and prepare them for their new mission in life - to help you store the pasta as pretty and functional as possible. 
  • Wrapping paper. Choose something you like; maybe it's something that makes you smile or maybe it goes well with your kitchen design. Just make it fun. I got my heart set on this wrapping paper that is double sided (I just love double sided wrapping paper!)
  • Chalkboard tape (yay!)
  • The little helpers: scissors, glue, scotch tape, chalk.

The whole thing is easier than pie. Really! I cut the wrapping paper according to the height of the boxes and long enough to wrap around two times. I fixed it in place with a little bit of glue and transparent scotch tape at the end. Then I trimmed the edges and put on the chalk label.




Use your favorite chalk colors to write on the labels all the information you may need, such as type of pasta and cooking time. I tried to position the labels not to high on the box, but also away from where I would normally grab it. The chalk has the pesky habit of erasing easily. Until now, it holds just fine! Sure, you could just put on the boxes pretty traditional labels, but I choose the chalk tape because I get to erase it easily and add new types of pasta in the boxes.



Now, go on and find a new purpose for something you would normally throw away. But make it pretty and functional so you'll love it and keep using it! Craft on darlings! - Anca, recycling superhero of the day!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...